ULAN BATOR, Oct. 30 (Xinhua) -- Mongolia on Friday launched a project to strengthen its response to the COVID-19 pandemic in cooperation with the European Union (EU) and the World Health Organization (WHO).
The project dubbed "Mongolia's response to the COVID-19 pandemic" will last three years, according to the country's health ministry.
Within the framework of the project, the EU will provide Mongolia with 1 million euros (1.17 million U.S. dollars) in financial support to strengthen the health sector and inter-sectoral cooperation, and the WHO will offer financial support of 62,000 euros (over 72,000 dollars) as well as professional and methodological support to the country, the ministry said in a statement.
"The COVID-19 pandemic has tested the current state of our health system and preparedness for response. On the other hand, it has given us the opportunity to identify weaknesses and challenges in the health system and issues that need to be addressed in the future," Health Minister Togtmol Munkhsaikhan said at the launching ceremony of the project.
The minister expressed confidence that the project will address these challenges and help further strengthen the health system.
As of Friday, a total of 340 COVID-19 imported cases have been reported in Mongolia.
Thanks to the early introduction of social distancing and strict health protocols for cross-border flows, no local transmissions or deaths have been reported in the Asian country so far.