Sat, 22 Jan 2022

Kathmandu: Activists resume sit-in alleging government dishonesty

Khalid Umar Malik
28 Nov 2021, 09:33 GMT+10

KATHMANDU, Nepal - Following the government's unwillingness to properly implement the recommendations of an investigation committee appointed to investigate the incidents of murder and disappearance in Banke district, women activists from Nepalgunj have arrived in the capital for the second time in less than two months.

In October, 16 people, including thirteen women, completed their 12-day sit-in at Maitighar after agreeing with the Ministry of Home Affairs to form an investigation committee to look into the twin instances. Fourteen of them had traveled for 20 days from Nepalgunj to Kathmandu and began a sit-in to force the government to investigate Nankunni Dhobi's death and Nirmala Kurmi's disappearance.

The government investigating committee proposed an investigation against eight people, including Badshah Kurmi, the first Constituent Assembly member. Seven accused were arrested, but the authorities spared Kurmi.

After they arrived in Kathmandu on Thursday, those who walked to Kathmandu in October began a second round of sit-ins in Maitighar.

"We demand an immediate arrest of Kurmi and release of the study report," the protest leader Ruby Khan told the media. "The government has deceived us. We won't return until our demands are addressed fully."

Nankunni, 38, was discovered dead in her Banke residence under dubious circumstances.

Nirmala, 52, was reported missing in the same rural community. Her abduction occurred precisely two years after the murders of her two teenage sons within a week.

According to her neighbors and locals, Nirmala owned many lands. It makes her disappearance and the murders of her two sons intriguing. However, the case of her disappearance was never taken seriously by the authorities.

According to Khan, Kurmi is a key suspect in the disappearance case. "Not arresting him means the government wants to protect him," she said. "We want an investigation from the Central Investigation Bureau of the Nepal Police and a separate committee to study where all the property belonging to Nirmala has gone."

However, the police claim that Nirmala had died in India, where her final rites were performed; there is no purpose in looking into her disappearance.

But the demonstrators believe that the police have falsified paperwork to protect Kurmi, a local leader of the ruling Nepali Congress.

More Asia News

Access More

Sign up for The Asia News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!